Who's Talking Turkey?!

Don't hate me, but....

I'm already thinking about Turkey Day!

I can't help it - I booked my tickets to my mother-in-law's house for the holiday and I just love visiting good ole Chattanooga, TN for Thanksgiving!

My "Who's Talking Turkey?" Thanksgiving math packet has been sitting on my computer, staring at me, begging me to finish it for the past few weeks. After 11 and a half hours of sleep last night (heavenly) I awoke refreshed and ready to work today and that is exactly what I did!

My kiddos LOVE playing math games and I have created some fun ones to keep them engaged and learning during those hard-to-stay-focused holiday months. This packet includes 6 different math activities that directly correlate to the common core math standards.

Here is a little sneak peak at some of my faves:

Spin-a-story problem:
We work a lot on story problems in my class - solving them, dissecting them, creating them, etc. This is a fun little activity to get their brains workin' and their creativity flowin'! Students use a paper clip and pencil to spin 2 spinners. The first one gives them what their story is about and the second spinner tells them if they are writing an addition or subtraction story problem. Students write their problem, draw their problem, and solve it with a number sentence! I have students do this with their partner at their seat and they have a lot of fun challenging each other to solve their problems.

Number of the day turkey:
I see a lot of turkey crafts during the holidays, but I wanted to add a little something to it. My kids usually complete a "number of the day" where they show me the different ways to make a number, so I thought I would take it one step further and have them make their number into a turkey! Students choose their number and write it in the middle of their turkey. On each feather they will show their number in different ways (tens frame, picture, number word, tallies, base 10 cubes, and sentence). I included all the templates for this little craft in my packet.

If you'd like to see more, just click on the image below and you can check out the preview at TPT!

Have a great night! :)

5 comments

  1. Looks fabulous! I could gobble up the number of the day turkeys:)

    Tammy
    The Resourceful Apple

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a darling turkey. Great way to incorporate art with math. Your packet looks so great! I'm having a giveaway if you want to check it out!
    ஐRikki
    The Hive

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Aimee! My kids love making their own story problems!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Got back to ya ;)! I'm excited to go check out the giveaway!!

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top