Inventive Spelling Freebie!



Back-to-school night is tomorrow and I have soooo much to do to get ready!

I thought I would share a quick freebie before I finish stressing out getting my ducks in a row for the big night!

I don't know about your BTS night, but ours is solely informational! No kids, no fun, no games, just me, the parents and the 4-1-1. Nerve-wracking. I get very nervous in front of crowds. Especially crowds full of "grown-ups". I turn into a full-blown Chandler Bing, awkard jokes and all. Last year, I managed to call a dad overweight when sitting in the tiny first grade chairs. I don't know how it happens.... it just does.... *sigh*.

The first grade team gives out a whole packet about our homework policy, nightly reading folders, report cards/grading information and our brand-new snack policy. Bla bla bla, I have to get rid of my Kiss Your Brain Jar, bla bla bla. Tears.

My colleague, Janie, gave me this letter a couple years ago to send home to parents to help explain inventive spelling. I loved it, so with her permission, I gave it a little re-vamp and I am offering it up to you all as a freebie!

Here is mine:
If you click the image you can download the editable powerpoint to fill in your own name and change the date.

Enjoy!

By the way.... don't think I haven't noticed that the little number in the bottom left corner has surpassed 500 - W-W-W-WHAT??!? Crazy! I have a FANTASTIC giveaway in the works with some of my favorite bloggers in the world! Click [here] to join the fun!


7 comments

  1. I know exactly how you feel - I alwayyysss have parents telling me their children can't spell anything and it is such a struggle for them as parents... I just remind them to let it go! This letter has been a help the past couple years, so I hope it helps you too! Thanks for the good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our new snack policy is SOSOSO strict and our school could get a huge fine if they see unhealthy snacks in the classroom. I am just going to replace my hershey kisses with stickers or something... they've just been very helpful the past few weeks!

    Oh wellllll :(

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As an educator & parent,I find this very unprofessional and disappointing. I understand the point of the letter, but think there are better ways to demonstrate the concept. The district in which I work has many residents who are not yet proficient in English. A letter like this would "go over their heads" and possibly confuse them. I believe educators should always project a professional image and this strikes me as trying to be cutesy.

    I am not insulting you. I am just expressing a difference of opinion. I am aware there are many ways of looking at things. I certainly appreciate what you are doing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. why can't I understand the "insistints" part? I'd love to send this home to parents but I need to understand that sentence. lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is GREAT! I use one that is similar every year...love your version, too! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great letter!

    I'm a teacher in the Netherlands and I teach the little ones as they're learning how to read and write.

    I translated the letter in Dutch (well, invented spelling dutch) and will hand it out to the parents of my new group of kids next year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this! What font did you use? I want the date/signature to match the text. (Yes, I am slightly OCD.)

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top